Making my way through life as a first time mum in Walthamstow

Friday 27 January 2012

Pregnancy Yoga - Walthamstow Toy library

I've been trying to keep as fit and healthy as possible throughout this pregnancy, but now I am well into the third trimester it is starting to become a bit more of a struggle. My husband has decided to kick off the new year with a new exercise regime which I am trying really hard to support him with. We go to the work gym two or three times a week from 5-6pm, and while he attacks the weight machines I do some uphill power walking on the treadmill and a bit of light cross training and cycling. It's nothing like what I was able to do before, but I feel good for getting some exercise, and I keep reading how you are much more likely to have an easy labour if you can keep your pregnancy fitness levels up. I do get some strange looks from the other gym users as if they think I shouldnt be there, and I do feel about twice the size of the skinny girls in their lycra shorts, but I will keep going as long as possible!
Last week I decided to throw in some more pregnany-oriented exercise into the mix, and signed up for a 5-week pregnancy yoga class. It's a 5-week course currently running on Thursday nights in the Toy Library, just off Beulah Road in Walthamstow Village. At the first class it was lovely to see that most of the other women were about as far along as me, with most people somewhere between 25-32 weeks. The exercises might look easy for anyone not carrying a big bump around with them but I found them to be just the right level of difficulty and I'm sure they are doing me some good.
You can find contact details for Helen who runs the class and other non-pregnancy yoga classes here Walthamstow Village Yoga .
The Healthworks just off Hoe street also offer antenatal pilates and yoga, plus some post-natal classes where you can bring your baby along too!

No comments:

Post a Comment